How Do I Back Up My Contact List?
To back up your existing ICQ # along with your contact list:
When you want to take your contact list with you or if it needs to be reconstructed:
- Find your ICQ directory (usually under Program Files).
- Locate directory 'db' in your ICQ folder
- Save it on a diskette and don't let it out of your sight!
- Now you can take the diskette with you and use it at any work station after you download ICQ.
Follow the below instructions:
You can only copy your contact list (db) to the same ICQ# either at the same computer you have been
working on if you have downloaded a new version of ICQ, or to a different computer if you have changed
workstations, but always to the same ICQ#.
- Install ICQ to the computer you wish to work on.
- Shut down ICQ.
- Copy your old 'db' directory (from the diskette).
over the existing directory.
- Open ICQ.
! The contact list exists on your hard drive only and there is no backup on
To copy your address book from one ICQ# to another:
- Click the ICQ menu/button and choose Address Book.
- Click File and choose Export Address Book and save to a diskette to move computers.
or to a directory to keep it on the computer.
- Open second ICQ# and click the ICQ menu/button and choose Address Book.
- Click File and select Import Address Book.
- Locate the directory or diskette you saved the it to and find the Address Book
and click it.
- Click on each name to request authorization again from those who require it.